IN-SEASON TEST #2 - DAY #2 - RE-CAP & TIMES
Testing Location: Hungaroring - Mogyorod, Hungary
George Russell was the quickest of the testing-group on day 2 at the Hungaroring. Russell, who is leading the FIA Formula 2 championship, finished the day in 1st with a 1:15.575. The young British driver also collected 116 laps for the Mercedes AMG F1 team.
Antonio Giovinazzi, who took the Ferrari to the top on day 1, switched over to Sauber for day 2. The Italian finished in 4th with a 1:17.558 and 120 laps. Giovinazzi has been linked to a full-time Sauber seat in 2019, but nothing has been made official just yet.
Force India chose to run their other test driver after Latifi drove on the previous day. This time around it was Nikita Mazepin, who currently competes in GP3. Mazepin stopped on track twice during the session with mechanical issues, resulting in Red Flags both times. Despite this, Mazepin finished in 5th with a 1:17.748. He also completed 51 laps.
Toro Rosso ran two cars again as they did on Tuesday. Sean Gelael was in the main car and finished in 9th with a 1:19.046, ahead of Pierre Gasly and Brendon Hartley who both drove the other car in order to complete testing for Pirelli.
British driver, Jake Dennis, who currently competes in the Blancpain GT Series Endurance Cup, was in the Red Bull for the day, taking over from Daniel Ricciardo who drove the previous day. Dennis, 23, finished up in 3rd for the Austrian team. His final time was a 1:17.012. He also racked up a whopping 131 laps, the same amount as Raikkonen, who was behind the wheel of the Ferrari.
Lando Norris was once again in the McLaren, while Williams opted to run former F1 driver, Robert Kubica. Kubica was 6th at the end of the session, putting in a 1:18.451 and completed 103 laps.
Formula 2 RUSSIAN TIME driver, Artem Markelov, ran for Renault. He finished in 8th with a 1:18.496 and racked up 108 laps.
1. George Russell - 1:15.575 / Mercedes-Mercedes / Great Britain / 116 Laps
2. Kimi Raikkonen - 1:15.649 / Ferrari-Ferrari / Finland / 131 Laps
3. Jake Dennis - 1:17.012 / Red Bull Racing-TAG-Heuer / Great Britain / 131 Laps
4. Antonio Giovinazzi - 1:17.558 / Sauber-Ferrari / Italy / 120 Laps
5. Nikita Mazepin - 1:17.748 / Force India-Mercedes / Russia / 51 Laps
6. Robert Kubica - 1:18.451 / Williams-Mercedes / Poland / 103 Laps
7. Lando Norris - 1:18.472 / McLaren-Renault / Great Britain / 73 Laps
8. Artem Markelov - 1:18.496 / Renault-Renault / Russia / 108 Laps
9. Sean Gelael - 1:19.046 / Scuderia Toro Rosso-Honda / Indonesia / 122 Laps
10. Pierre Gasly - 1:19.790 / Scuderia Toro Rosso-Honda / France / 75 Laps*
11. Brendon Hartley - 1:20.221 / Scuderia Toro Rosso-Honda / New Zealand / 67 Laps*
* - Notes Gasly and Hartley were testing for Pirelli's 2019 programme
NOTE: Haas has chosen not to participate in this test
Article Written By: Amy Hawk
No copyright infringement intended
Follow us on Twitter @F1Insider78 & @bethonieboost