Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Lando Norris Joins McLaren In 2019, Vandoorne Out


NORRIS JOINS McLAREN IN 2019, STOFFEL VANDOORNE TO LEAVE

    Lando Norris will replace Stoffel Vandoorne at McLaren for the 2019 Formula 1 season.

    The European Formula 3 champion and Formula 2 front-runner joins Carlos Sainz Jnr at the team, becoming the first rookie to be confirmed for the upcoming season.

    Norris became McLaren’s test and reserve driver after winning the McLaren Autosport BRDC Award for young drivers in 2016. He’s completed a number of tests with the team, including two FP1 outings.

    “To be announced as a race driver for McLaren is a dream come true,” he said. “Although I’ve been part of the team for a while now, this is a special moment, one I could only hope would become reality.

    I’d like to thank the whole team for this amazing opportunity and for believing in me. I’m also extremely grateful for the commitment McLaren has already shown my development, allowing me to build my experience in a Formula 1 car in both testing and on Fridays during the past two race weekends.

    For the remainder of 2018, my focus remains firmly on the Formula 2 championship. My objective is to win the title before joining McLaren full-time, which will be tough but I will fight as hard as I can for the remaining four races.

    I’ll also be working closely with McLaren at every opportunity to learn as much as possible from the drivers, engineers, and mechanics to give myself the best preparation ahead of next year.”

    Norris started his car racing career in the Ginetta Junior championship in 2014, before switching to single seaters with the MSA Formula in 2015. Since 2015, Norris has claimed the MSA Formula title, Formula Renault Eurocup and NEC titles, Toyota Racing Series title, and the European Formula 3 championship victory.

    He finished second in last year’s Macau Grand Prix and is currently second in the Formula 2 championship, behind Mercedes junior George Russel.

    Norris is the fourth McLaren junior driver to be promoted to F1, following in the footsteps of Lewis Hamilton, Kevin Magnussen, and Vandoorne.

    The move means Vandoorne joins the list of current drivers out of a seat for the upcoming season.

    “I’m very grateful to McLaren for investing their faith in me over the past five years,” he said. “I joined McLaren as a young driver and have since seen my career progress within the team from test and development driver to reserve driver and then to full-time race driver.

    While we haven’t achieved the success we’d all hoped for, I’ve really enjoyed the past two seasons racing for McLaren and I have a great relationship with everyone in the team.”

----
Article Written By: Bethonie Waring
No copyright infringement intended 
Follow us on Twitter @bethonieboost & @F1Insider78

No comments:

Post a Comment