Friday, November 4, 2016

Williams Confirms Valtteri Bottas & Lance Stroll for 2017


WILLIAMS CONFIRMS BOTTAS & STROLL FOR 2017

    Lance Stroll has described getting the Williams F1 seat as “a dream come true” at the announcement of the team’s 2017 line up this morning. The Canadian teenager will join Valtteri Bottas at Williams next season, having taken the FIA European Formula 3 championship earlier this year.

    Stroll’s promotion to Formula One comes as a shock to nobody, as the teenager has been rumoured to be taking the seat of retiring Felipe Massa for months. Stroll comes not only with talent – as shown by his complete domination in Formula 3 – but also with funding. What he doesn’t have is a great quantity of experience, which has led to some to criticize the move. 2017 will definitely be a learning curve for the Canadian.

    “To be racing in Formula One in 2017 is incredible,” said Stroll. “I can’t thank Williams enough for showing faith in my ability."

    “2017 is going to be a big learning curve for me, but I’m eager to absorb everything Williams can share with me so that I improve. I’ll be taking things on a race-by-race, lap-by-lap basis and hopefully progress with experience like I did when I entered Formula 4 and then Formula 3.”

    Stroll has been preparing for his promotion not only by racing in Formula 3, but testing in the 2014 F1 car.

    “The power is incredible,” he said of the Williams FW36, which Stroll has been testing in since August. “I’m learning about the car, the incredible down force, DRS and tyre management, finding rhythm and finding the limit. I’m becoming more comfortable and confident with each run.”

    Stroll will partner Valtteri Bottas, who will start his fifth season with Williams next year. The Finn is looking forward to next year, calling the rules changes “exciting”. Williams have fallen backwards over the past few years after often challenging for the number two spot back in 2014.

    “Williams is like my family,” said Bottas. “Going into next season, it will be eight years in total since I joined at the start of 2010, so it really does feel like home here. However, I still believe we haven’t yet achieved what we should, and can do together.”

    Williams believe the fresh talent, partnered with the rule change next season, will push them forwards so they can get back to challenging at the front of the field in what will be their 40th season in Formula 1. At the moment, the team is battling with Force India for fourth place in the constructors’ championship.

----
Article Written By: Bethonie Waring
No copyright infringement intended
Follow us on Twitter @Bethonie_Boost & @F1Insider78

No comments:

Post a Comment