AZERBAIJAN GP - QUALIFYING - RE-CAP & RESULTS
Sebastian Vettel took another pole position while other drivers dealt with near-misses and penalties ahead of the Azerbaijan Grand Prix.
Pierre Gasly and Brendon Hartley nearly collided in Q1 after Hartley tapped the walls and was trailing with a puncture. Gasly managed to swerve out of the way but it was an overall disastrous qualifying for the Italian team.
Hulkenberg and Grosjean both received a 5-Place-Grid-Penalty for unscheduled gearbox changes.
Grosjean and Hartley had to get permission from the stewards to race after failing to get a time in that was within the 107% regulation. Grosjean, in fact, did not set a time at all in qualifying due to a gearbox failure.
HOW IT WORKS:
Q1 = 18 minutes. All cars allowed to go out. At the end of the session, the five slowest are eliminated.
Q2 = 15 minutes. The remaining cars go out. At the end of the session, the five slowest are eliminated.
Q3 = 12 minutes. Final 10 cars go out. The final order at the end of the session is how the grid will line up. Fastest car starts from Pole Position.
1. Sebastian Vettel / Ferrari-Ferrari / Germany
2. Lewis Hamilton / Mercedes-Mercedes / Great Britain
3. Valtteri Bottas / Mercedes-Mercedes / Finland
4. Daniel Ricciardo / Red Bull Racing-TAG-Heuer / Australia
5. Max Verstappen / Red Bull Racing-TAG-Heuer / Netherlands
6. Kimi Raikkonen / Ferrari-Ferrari / Finland
7. Esteban Ocon / Force India-Mercedes / France
8. Sergio Perez / Force India-Mercedes / Mexico
9. Carlos Sainz / Renault-Renault / Spain
10. Lance Stroll / Williams-Mercedes / Canada
11. Sergey Sirotkin / Williams-Mercedes / Russia
12. Fernando Alonso / McLaren-Renault / Spain
13. Charles Leclerc / Sauber-Ferrari / Monaco
14. Nico Hulkenberg / Renault-Renault / Germany*
15. Kevin Magnussen / Haas-Ferrari / Denmark
16. Stoffel Vandoorne / McLaren-Renault / Belgium
17. Pierre Gasly / Scuderia Toro Rosso-Honda / France
18. Marcus Ericsson / Sauber-Ferrari / Sweden
19. Brendon Hartley / Scuderia Toro Rosso-Honda / New Zealand+
20. Romain Grosjean / Haas-Ferrari / France*+
* - (Hulkenberg & Grosjean) 5-Place-Grid-Penalty for unscheduled gearbox change
+ - (Grosjean & Hartley) Granted permission by stewards to race after failing to set times within the 107% regulation.
Article Written By: Amy Hawk
No copyright infringement intended
Follow us on Twitter @F1Insider78 & @bethonieboost