Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Fernando Alonso To Compete In Indy 500


FERNANDO ALONSO TO COMPETE IN INDY 500, BUTTON CONFIRMED AT McLAREN FOR MONACO GP

    Jenson Button will make his Formula One return at the Monaco GP, replacing Fernando Alonso as the Spaniard makes his IndyCar debut.

    Button said goodbye to F1 racing at the end of 2016 but didn’t officially retire, remaining as a key member of the team.

    “I’m thrilled to be making a one-off return to F1 racing, and I couldn’t think of a better place to make that return than my adopted home Grand Prix, Monaco,” Button said.

    “I’ve won the race before, in 2009, and it’s one of my all-time favourite racetracks. It’s a tricky street circuit on which a good driver can really make a difference."

    “I’ll drive the MCL32 around Monaco in the McLaren sim beforehand, and I reckon I’ll be ready for the race after doing that. I’m supremely fit, having done a lot of triathlon training recently, so I have no worries on that score.”

    Alonso, meanwhile, will be competing in the Indianapolis 500, which clashes with the Monaco F1 weekend. He’ll be racing in an Andretti run McLaren Honda, and is aiming to take the “triple crown.”

    “The Indy 500 is one of the most famous races and on the global motorsport calendar, rivaled only by the Le Mans 24 Hours and the Monaco GP,” Alonso said. “It’s of course a regret of mine that I won’t be able to race at Monaco this year, but Monaco will be the only 2017 Grand Prix I’ll be missing, and I’ll be back in the cockpit of the McLaren-Honda MCL32 for the Canadian Grand Prix in Montreal in early June."

    “I’ve won the Monaco Grand Prix twice, and it’s one of my ambitions to win the Triple Crown, which has been achieved by only one driver in the history of motorsport: Graham Hill. It’s a tough challenge, but I’m up for it. I don’t know when I’m going to race at Le Mans, but one day I intend to. I’m only 35: I’ve got plenty of time for that.”

----
Article Written By: Bethonie Waring
No copyright infringement intended
Image Credit To: www.indianapolismotorspeedway.com
Follow us on Twitter @Bethonie_Boost & @F1Insider78

No comments:

Post a Comment