As we head towards the final race of the 2014 F1 season, it was time for the first session of the weekend: Free Practice #1
Things went smooth for some teams, while other teams faced some issues. Williams was off to a bad start when bodywork came loose on both of the cars, forcing Massa and Bottas out of the session very early.
Jenson Button missed most of the session due a mechanical failure early on. His team-mate, Kevin Magnussen, caused a bit of commotion when he bumped wheels with soon-to-be Ferrari driver, Sebastian Vettel.
Will Stevens, who will be racing for Caterham this weekend, alongside Kamui Kobayashi, suffered from car issues and barely made it out with just 15 minutes left. Jean-Eric Vergne suffered from battery issues later on.
Both Sauber & Lotus ran a different driver in this session. Adderly Fong drove Sutil's Sauber while Esteban Ocon drove Grosjean's Lotus. Just recently, Romain Grosjean was confirmed to stay at Lotus for 2015, when the team will switch to Mercedes engines.
As many expected and hoped, it was a Mercedes 1-2 finish with Lewis Hamilton on top of the time sheets. Here are the rest of the times:
1. Lewis Hamilton - 1:43.476 / Mercedes-Mercedes
2. Nico Rosberg - 1:43.609 / Mercedes-Mercedes
3. Fernando Alonso - 1:45.184 / Ferrari-Ferrari
4. Sebastian Vettel - 1:45.334 / Red Bull-Renault
5. Daniel Ricciardo - 1:45.361 / Red Bull-Renault
6. Jean-Eric Vergne - 1:45.718 / Toro Rosso-Renault
7. Daniil Kvyat - 1:45.835 / Toro Rosso-Renault
8. Valtteri Bottas - 1:45.913 / Williams-Mercedes
9. Sergio Perez - 1:45.983 / Force India-Mercedes
10. Nico Hulkenberg - 1:46.030 / Force India-Mercedes
11. Kevin Magnussen - 1:46.049 / McLaren-Mercedes
12. Kimi Raikkonen - 1:46.131 / Ferrari-Ferrari
13. Felipe Massa - 1:46.549 / Williams-Mercedes
14. Esteban Gutierrez - 1:46.556 / Sauber-Ferrari
15. Pastor Maldonado - 1:46.711 / Lotus-Renault
16. Esteban Ocon* - 1:47.066 / Lotus-Renault
17. Jenson Button - 1:47.235 / McLaren-Mercedes
18. Kamui Kobayashi - 1:47.971 / Caterham-Renault
19. Adderly Fong* - 1:48.269 / Sauber-Ferrari
20. Will Stevens - 1:50.684 / Caterham-Renault
* = Driving in this session only
Article Written By: Amy Hawk
No copyright infringement intended
Follow us on Twitter @F1Insider78