IN-SEASON TEST #2 - DAY #1 - RE-CAP & TIMES
Charles Leclerc topped the time-sheets at the end of the first day of the second and last in-season test of the year. Leclerc, a reigning GP3 champion and current Formula 2 driver for PREMA Racing, finished the session with a fastest time of 1:17.746. And which team did he get to drive for? Ferrari. Leclerc is part of the Ferrari Academy and it is rumored that he will have a potential F1 drive next year with Sauber.
GP3 driver, George Russell, drove the Mercedes and finished the session in 4th. He completed a total of 119 laps and had a fastest time of 1:19.231. Valtteri Bottas drove a separate Mercedes to conduct a special tyre test for Pirelli. Bottas finished just ahead of Russel, in 3rd, with a 1:18.732.
Verstappen, one of the other current F1 drivers to stay behind at Hungaroring for the test, had issues with his Red Bull during most of the day, including an engine problem that left him in the garage for quite a long time. He finished down in 11th and only completed 58 laps.
Stoffel Vandoorne finished 2nd fastest of the day with a 1:17.834 but the day didn't come without a McLaren technical issue. His car stopped on track during the session and caused Red Flags.
Force India split driving duties between one of their test/reserve drivers, Nikita Mazepin. He drove the car during the 4-Hour AM session, before Lucas Auer, a DTM driver for Mercedes, took over for the 4-Hour PM session. Mazepin finished the session in 6th and Auer, a bit further down in 9th.
Other drivers taking part in Tuesday's running were Lance Stroll, Nicholas Latifi (F2), Sean Gelael (F2), Santino Ferrucci (F2 & GP3) and Gustav Malja (F2).
1. Charles Leclerc - 1:17.746 / Ferrari-Ferrari / Monaco / 98 Laps
2. Stoffel Vandoorne - 1:17.834 / McLaren-Honda / Belgium / 71 Laps
3. Valtteri Bottas - 1:18.732 / Mercedes-Mercedes / Finland / 155 Laps (T)
4. George Russell - 1:19.231 / Mercedes-Mercedes / Great Britain / 119 Laps
5. Lance Stroll - 1:19.866 / Williams-Mercedes / Canada / 137 Laps
6. Nikita Mazepin (AM) - 1:19.910 / Force India-Mercedes / Russia / 52 Laps
7. Nicholas Latifi - 1:20.302 / Renault-Renault / Canada / 53 Laps
8. Sean Gelael - 1:20.341 / Toro Rosso-Renault / Indonesia / 100 Laps
9. Lucas Auer (PM) - 1:20.563 / Force India-Mercedes / Austria / 53 Laps
10. Santino Ferrucci - 1:21.185 / Haas-Ferrari / USA / 101 Laps
11. Max Verstappen - 1:21.228 / Red Bull-TAG-Heuer / Netherlands / 58 Laps
12. Gustav Malja - 1:21.503 / Sauber-Ferrari / Sweden / 108 Laps
(T) - Bottas running for Pirelli test only
Article Written By: Amy Hawk
No copyright infringement intended
Follow us on Twitter @F1Insider78 & @Bethonie_Boost