HUNGARIAN GP - FREE PRACTICE #2 - RE-CAP & TIMES
Vettel’s 1m16.834s lap was just 0.074s faster than the Red Bull driver, who set the pace early in the session on the soft compound of tyres.
As the field switched to the ultrasoft compound, neither Verstappen nor team-mate Daniel Ricciardo could quite match Vettel’s pace.
The pair slotted into second and third, with Ricciardo almost two tenths of a second slower than his team-mate.
Kimi Raikkonen took fourth ahead of the Mercedes duo, both of whom had to abort their qualifying simulations after struggling with the rear end.
Hamilton, who’s time on the soft compound of tyre put him P5, ran wide at the final right-hand corner during his run on the ultra soft tyres. The mistake cost him more than a second and his lap was slower than that on the soft compound.
Team-mate Valtteri Bottas also suffered with the rear end, and had to settle for P6 after abandoning his own lap.
Haas’ Romain Grosjean was best of the rest, with his 1m18.065s enough to put him seventh, ahead of Carlos Sainz, Pierre Gasly, and Esteban Ocon.
Sergio Perez narrowly missed out on the top 10, his best time just 0.089s slower than team-mate Ocon’s.
Fernando Alonso took 12th, ahead of Kevin Magnussen, Nico Hulkenberg, Brendon Hartley and Marcus Ericsson.
Charles Leclerc was back on duty for Sauber, with Antonio Giovinazzi taking his seat in FP1. The rookie was 17th quickest, 0.094s slower than Ericsson.
Lance Stroll, Stoffel Vandoorne, and Sergey Sirotkin completed the order.
1. Sebastian Vettel - 1:16.834 / Ferrari-Ferrari / Germany
2. Max Verstappen - 1:16.908 / Red Bull Racing-TAG-Heuer / Netherlands
3. Daniel Ricciardo - 1:17.061 / Red Bull Racing-TAG-Heuer / Australia
4. Kimi Raikkonen - 1:17.153 / Ferrari-Ferrari / Finland
5. Lewis Hamilton - 1:17.587 / Mercedes-Mercedes / Great Britain
6. Valtteri Bottas - 1:17.868 / Mercedes-Mercedes / Finland
7. Romain Grosjean - 1:18.065 / Haas-Ferrari / France
8. Carlos Sainz - 1:18.495 / Renault-Renault / Spain
9. Pierre Gasly - 1:18.518 / Scuderia Toro Rosso-Honda / France
10. Esteban Ocon - 1:18.761 / Force India-Mercedes / France
11. Sergio Perez - 1:18.850 / Force India-Mercedes / Mexico
12. Fernando Alonso - 1:18.857 / McLaren-Renault / Spaingg
13. Kevin Magnussen - 1:18.880 / Haas-Ferrari / Denmark
14. Nico Hulkenberg - 1:18.913 / Renault-Renault / Germany
15. Brendon Hartley - 1:18.916 / Scuderia Toro Rosso-Honda / New Zealand
16. Marcus Ericsson - 1:19.043 / Sauber-Ferrari / Sweden
17. Charles Leclerc - 1:19.137 / Sauber-Ferrari / Monaco
18. Lance Stroll - 1:19.645 / Williams-Mercedes / Canada
19. Stoffel Vandoorne - 1:19.712 / McLaren-Renault / Belgium
20. Sergey Sirotkin - 1:19.770 / Williams-Mercedes / Russia
Article Written By: Bethonie Waring
No copyright infringement intended
Follow us on Twitter @bethonieboost & @F1Insider78