HUNGARIAN GP - FREE PRACTICE #3 - RE-CAP & TIMES
Vettel set the pace early in the session and was only briefly knocked off the top spot by Valtteri Bottas before another improvement put him P1. The Ferrari finished the final session before qualifying for the Hungarian Grand Prix with a 1m16.170s lap time, just 0.059s faster than Bottas.
Lewis Hamilton was the first of the spinners. The championship leader had already ruined one lap when he was sent over the run off area after a big twitch, before spinning at the chicane at the start of another flying lap.
Just one lap later, Bottas replicated his team-mate’s spin, coming to a stop as he hit the barriers square. He managed to make his own way back to the pits but didn’t head back out for the final 15 minutes of the session.
Hamilton was able to improve his lap to put himself P4, but was more than half a second off the pace of Vettel and Bottas.
Kimi Raikkonen split the Mercedes, finishing third quickest and two tenths of a second behind Vettel.
Daniel Ricciardo and Max Verstappen finished fifth and sixth quickest, ahead of the Renault duo of Carlos Sainz and Nico Hulkenberg.
Romain Grosjean and Pierre Gasly completed the top 10.
Kevin Magnussen took 11th fastest after a near miss with Ricciardo early in the session. Ricciardo had been on a flying lap when he came across the slower Haas, but Magnussen managed to avoid impeading the Red Bull.
Traffic was a problem for a number of drivers throughout the session, with Charles Leclerc almost colliding with Verstappen and Hamilton catching traffic on one of his flying laps.
Brendon Hartley managed to avoid the drama to finish 12th, ahead of Leclerc, Fernando Alonso and Esteban Ocon.
Sergey Sirotkin took 16th in the Williams, with Stoffel Vandoorne, Marcus Ericsson, Sergio Perez and Lance Stroll completing the order.
1. Sebastian Vettel - 1:16.170 / Ferrari-Ferrari / Germany
2. Valtteri Bottas - 1:16.229 / Mercedes-Mercedes / Finland
3. Kimi Raikkonen - 1:16.373 / Ferrari-Ferrari / Finland
4. Lewis Hamilton - 1:16.749 / Mercedes-Mercedes / Great Britain
5. Daniel Ricciardo - 1:16.803 / Red Bull Racing-TAG-Heuer / Australia
6. Max Verstappen - 1:16.946 / Red Bull Racing-TAG-Heuer / Netherlands
7. Carlos Sainz - 1:17.754 / Renault-Renault / Spain
8. Nico Hulkenberg - 1:18.083 / Renault-Renault / Germany
9. Romain Grosjean - 1:18.084 / Haas-Ferrari / France
10. Pierre Gasly - 1:18.139 / Scuderia Toro Rosso-Honda / France
11. Kevin Magnussen - 1:18.230 / Haas-Ferrari / Denmark
12. Brendon Hartley - 1:18.252 / Scuderia Toro Rosso-Honda / New Zealand
13. Charles Leclerc - 1:18.376 / Sauber-Ferrari / Monaco
14. Fernando Alonso - 1:18.467 / McLaren-Renault / Spain
15. Esteban Ocon - 1:18.512 / Force India-Mercedes / France
16. Sergey Sirotkin - 1:18.630 / Williams-Mercedes / Russia
17. Stoffel Vandoorne - 1:18.789 / McLaren-Renault / Belgium
18. Marcus Ericsson - 1:18.842 / Sauber-Ferrari / Sweden
19. Sergio Perez - 1:18.962 / Force India-Mercedes / Mexico
20. Lance Stroll - 1:19.132 / Williams-Mercedes / Canada
Article Written By: Bethonie Waring
No copyright infringement intended
Follow us on Twitter @F1Insider78 & @bethonieboost