Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Jules Bianchi: Driver & Fighter


When the current Formula 1 season started earlier this year in March, I never thought I'd be sitting here, writing an article like this. Of course, we're all aware of the dangers that any Motorsport can hold. We all know the statistics and the possibilities.. So why is it so hard to accept it when someone actually gets hurt? Well, maybe it's because we've become so used to drivers walking away from wrecks and fires without a scratch.

    It's been a little over a week since the Japanese Grand Prix. The race that changed things, the race that made me and so many others look at racing with a different point of view. As the rain pelted down on to the circuit of Suzuka, I knew the risks, I knew of accidents from other "Wet Races" - But I never expected a young, innocent man to have to fight such a battle.


    Jules Bianchi, the 25-year-old driver for Marussia F1 team is currently in critical condition in Yokkaichi Hospital, located in Japan. He had crashed heavily into a recovery tractor during the Japanese GP, before being rushed to the hospital VIA ambulance. He underwent emergency surgery and it was later announced he had suffered a Diffuse Axonal Injury (DAI) - One of the most severe injuries to the brain.


    We, like so many others, have been sending our prayers and support to Jules and his family. I've seen support from all the other Formula 1 drivers and even drivers from other Championships, ranging from Le Mans to MotoGP. Fans have made signs, pictures, and videos, urging Jules to fight and get better.


    On the Thursday before the Japanese GP, I watched the Drivers Press Conference, watched as Jules talked about his season and how he felt about his performance with Marussia so far this year. I never would have thought that only a few days later, he would be on his way to the hospital.


    As the teams headed to Russia for the recent Russian GP, nothing felt the same. Everything felt strange. Strange and heavy. As the drivers grouped in a circle before the race, having a moment of silence in respect of Jules, I myself closed my eyes, sharing the silence. It is an indescribable feeling when a driver is missing from the grid, when you don't see them around the paddock or prepping in the garage for a Session run.


    If there's one thing I know about Jules, it's that he's a fighter. I often think back to Monaco, earlier this year, when he scored Marussia their first ever points. I remember thinking to myself that without a doubt, he's not a rookie anymore, he's a future champion. He fought hard for those points and right now, he is fighting for the most important thing, more important than any trophy or medal. He's fighting for his life.
    

      I don't know when his condition will improve.. I know things take time and everything is just so fragile right now. The only thing we can do is just continue to keep the positivity going around with thoughts and prayers. We send our love to the Bianchi family and to the other drivers during this tough time.
 

Keep fighting Jules, everyone's cheering you on.

----
Article Written By: Amy Hawk

No comments:

Post a Comment