Qualifying - Re-Cap & Results
We are just hours away from the first Russian GP at Sochi Autodrom and it is time to take a look at how the grid will line up.
If you're new to Qualifying or F1 in general, we will go over the basic rules. Qualifying consists of 3 different sessions, so we're going to walk through it.
Session 1, 18 minutes on the clock and all cars get to go out and set their fastest times. When the 18 minutes are up, all cars must return to pits and the 6 slowest of the session do not move on to Q2.
Session 2 or Q2 as we call it, is the same thing, just 15 minutes on the clock, but overall the same rules. 6 slowest cars do not move on to Q3.
In Q3, and 12 minutes on the clock. The last 10 cars battle for the front 10 positions on the grid, but most importantly, the very first and most wanted position. Pole.
Here's how the grid will look for the Russian GP. Please note, these results are after the grid changed due to penalties. They are explained below.
1. Lewis Hamilton / Mercedes-Mercedes / Great Britain
2. Nico Rosberg / Mercedes-Mercedes / Germany
3. Valtteri Bottas / Williams-Mercedes / Finland
4. Jenson Button / McLaren-Mercedes / Great Britain
5. Daniil Kvyat / Toro Rosso-Renault / Russia
6. Daniel Ricciardo / Red Bull-Renault / Australia
7. Fernando Alonso / Ferrari-Ferrari / Spain
8. Kimi Raikkonen / Ferrari-Ferrari / Finland
9. Jean-Eric Vergne / Toro Rosso-Renault / France
10. Sebastian Vettel / Red Bull-Renault / Germany
11. Kevin Magnussen* / McLaren-Mercedes / Denmark
12. Sergio Perez / Force India-Mercedes / Mexico
13. Esteban Gutierrez / Sauber-Ferrari / Mexico
14. Adrian Sutil / Sauber-Ferrari / Germany
15. Romain Grosjean / Lotus-Renault / France
16. Marcus Ericsson / Caterham-Renault / Sweden
17. Nico Hulkenberg / Force India-Mercedes / Germany*
18. Felipe Massa / Williams-Mercedes / Brazil
19. Kamui Kobayashi / Caterham-Renault / Japan
20. Pastor Maldonado / Lotus-Renault / Venezuela**
21. Max Chilton / Marussia-Ferrari / Great Britain*
** - Pastor Maldonado carries over the rest of his Grid Penalty from Suzuka.
* - Hulkenberg, Magnussen and Chilton all received 5-Place-Grid-Penalties for gearbox changes.
Follow us on Twitter for everything pre-race and of course updates throughout the race itself! @F1Insider78
Article Written By: Amy Hawk.
No copyright infringement intended